I am a little tired of James Cameron. I mean I know, he's a native son and all, and he does make some really neato movies, but his hubris is so un-Canadian.
So I thought, "Self," I thought, "Is Avatar really the top film of all time?"
And like so many things I think, I discovered that someone had actually thought of it before me! I found this website (Box Office Mojo) that tracks actual ticket sales (that would be people who actually attend movies in the theatre) and found out that on a per bum in seat measurement Avatar isn't even in the top 20. In fact it's number 26 and has a load more bums to get into seats until it hits number 1.
Here are the top 10, and some of them won't surprise you, some of them might. For Comparison the number if tickets for Avatar is running around 75 million tickets sold.
10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at 109 million tickets
9. The Exorcist at 110.5 million tickets
8. Dr. Zhivago at 124 million tickets
7. Jaws at128 million tickets
6. Titanic at just short of 129 million tickets (just escaping the jaws!)
5. The Ten Commandments at 135 million tickets
4. ET at 141.8 million tickets
3. The Sound of Music at 142 million tickets
2. Star Wars at 178 million tickets
and number one with a runaway lead is
Gone With the Wind with 202 million tickets (and that was before huge overseas markets and viral marketing!)
Let's put it this way - at today's ticket prices Gone with the wind would have earned 1.5 BILLION dollars.
There is nothing like a classic!